- What is U3A and what does it do?
U3A stands for “University of the third Age” and is an international network of not-for-profit, community-based organisations focused on providing seniors with a learning environment. Activities seek to be intellectually, physically and socially stimulating. U3A asks for no qualifications and awards no degrees or diplomas.
- Who can become a U3A member?
Be of the “Third Age”, which is defined as the third stage of life in the sense of it being that time when work and major family responsibilities have been completed. Be one who is not in full time study or employment.
- Is there a limit on when I can join?
No, you may join as a member any time during the calendar year. New class programs are available at the commencement of each term, which run in parallel with the Queensland school year. Special days are held prior to the start of each term for members to register into classes of their choice.
- What is the fee structure for participation in U3A activities?
Annual membership $15
Class fee, full term $20
Class fee, short course $15
Workshop fee $6/$12
Casual membership fee $5
- What happens if I pay my course fees and can not commence or complete the program?
Where courses have not yet commenced, a refund would be available or alternatively a credit offered against future course or membership fees. Where classes have commenced however, any refund or credit would be in exceptional circumstances only and require ratification by the Beachmere U3A Committee.
- Will there be a wait list if courses are over-subscribed?
Yes, a waitlist will be maintained and placement offered in order of registration in the event of participant withdrawal.
- Am I able to join a course after it has commenced?
Yes, but only if course numbers and structure permit. Course tutors will identify those courses that will NOT permit late commencement.
- Will the current course subjects be offered again next year?
Future course topics will be determined by the U3A Beachmere Committee based on demand, tutor availability and infrastructure capacity to accommodate the activity (ie suitable space).
- Can I suggest future course topics?
Yes, U3A Beachmere members are encouraged to suggest future topics by phone or email.
- Can I undertake courses without being a current U3A Beachmere financial member?
No, course participation is only available to financial members.
- If I do not want to become a financial member at this time, can I attend a course to see if it is something I might be interested in undertaking in the future?
Yes, you can participate as a casual member and pay a minor attendance fee. Course fees vary and confirmation should be sought for exact costings. A casual membership allows for a single class in 1 course only.
- Can financial members from other U3A groups undertake Beachmere offered courses?
Yes, but only financial members from Caboolture and Bribie Island U3As.
- Can a financial member of the U3A Beachmere undertake courses at Bribie Island and Caboolture?
You may join Caboolture classes, subject to placement availability and payment of the necessary tuition fees. At Bribie you must be a financial member of Bribie U3A.